Thunderstorms: Home Damage - What to Do

Material provided by Federal Alliance for Safe Homes

If Your Home is Damaged or Destroyed

Homeowners should contact their insurance carrier as soon as possible to begin the claims process; however, standard homeowner policies do not cover flood damage.

Housing Assistance

FEMA provides housing assistance for qualifying disaster victims. Homeowners within a designated federal disaster area may call toll-free


  1-800-621-FEMA (3362) to register for assistance.

Applicants should be prepared to describe losses and provide their Social Security number, financial information and directions to the damaged property.