Extreme Temperatures: Winterize Your Home Before a Storm
Material provided by Federal Alliance for Safe Homes http://www.flash.org/
- Prevent frozen pipes by insulating them in two inches of UL listed heat tape.
- Caulk and weather strip doors and windows.
- Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic.
- Set the thermostat in your house no lower than 55 degrees.
- Allow a slow trickle of water to flow especially if the faucet is on an
exterior wall (be sure both the hot and cold faucets are flowing).
- Open spigots to allow a small, continuous drip to prevent freezing.
- Remove garden hoses and drain water from spigots.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to uninsulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.